I came across this basic basil vegan pesto a while ago. I still remember that day; it was when I fell in love with nutritional yeast’s versatility. Talk about being late to the party, eh? Well, better late than never!
This Basil Vegan Pesto gives an option to a classic Italian basil pesto without compromising its flavours. Seriously.
Enjoy the simplicity of it and let’s kick our summer off with some plant-based meals. This pesto takes literally 5 minutes to make and adds flavour to so many dishes, including the pasta dish I shared at the bottom of this post.
Basil Vegan Pesto
- 100 grams (2 cups) fresh basil, large stems removed
- 30 grams (4 tbsp) pine nuts (you can switch for walnuts)
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 10 grams (3 tbsp) nutritional yeast
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 30-40 ml (2-3 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 50-60 ml (4-5 tbsp) water (depends on the consistency you want to get)
- sprinkle of salt
- In a food processor/blender add the basil, nuts, garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and a seas salt.
- Blend/mix on high until you get a loose paste.
- Add olive oil a little at the time, then start adding water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Feel free to add extra nutritional yeast for more cheesy flavour or lemon for more acidity!
- Store the pesto (covered) in the refrigerator up to one week.
You can add basil pesto to your pasta dish, on top of potatoes, mix it with carrot or zucchini noodles, use it as a salad dressing, or simply top your pizza dough with it!