I love cooking with beer! When used in the kitchen, it’s so versatile and delicious and it’s a shame so many people avoid cooking with it. One of the recipes I’m very fond of is Beer Risotto with Parma Ham & Cheddar Cheese and it just got published in Harper’s Bazaar Czech Republic March issue!
Beer Risotto with Parma Ham & Cheddar Cheese
Total Time: 40 minutes
Number of servings: 2
- 0,5 litre / 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- few Parma ham stripes
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- 130 grams / 2 cups Arborio rice
- 100 ml / ½ cup beer
- 20 grams / 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 50 grams / ½ cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- On a low fire heat up a chicken broth in a medium pan.
- Put olive oil in a large pan and for about 2-3 minutes cook Parma ham stripes and chopped onion. Then add garlic cloves and cook for additional half a minute.
- As soon as garlic starts catching a colour, add uncooked rice and stir.
- Then add beer and let it cook, allowing the rice to soak up beer while stirring occasionally.
- Start adding chicken broth, always one scoop after another, constantly stirring. Basically you add one scoop, let the rice reach the boiling point and absorb the broth, then add second and so on until your rice is completely cooked.This should take around 30 minutes.
- Then add Parmesan cheese, Cheddar cheese, cayenne pepper and salt, stir well.
- Serve with a glass of chilled beer and enjoy!
In case you were wondering how to prepare a homemade chicken broth, here is an universal recipe; you can use it as a base for a soup or for your risotto.
Homemade Chicken Broth
Preparation 15 minutes / Cooking at least 1 hour
- 1 chicken skeleton
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 parsley roots, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery root, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery, washed and chopped
- 1 kohlrabi, peeled and chopped
- ½ leek, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- handful flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tomato, washed and halved
- 1 chili pepper
- 3-4 bay leaves
- handful whole black and green pepper
- salt to taste
Wash all the vegetables and herbs, chop and put them in a large pot with chicken skeleton. Add water and cook for at least 1 hour, ideally 2 hours. Decant and salt to taste.
Sooo.. will you try it? 🙂 Cheers!