Homemade tomato sauce should have its place in every kitchen. Yes, I know, lack of time, no mood and crushing tiredness after coming back from work, but… believe me, homemade tomato sauce tastes so much better than the bought one! And it’s healthier too. While tomatoes are being roasted in the oven, you can relax. And on top of all its benefits, this tomato sauce can be used with pasta, pizza (as sugo) or when baking meat in the oven (I’ll add this recipe soon :))
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Number of servings: 1
Per Serving 539 calories
Fat 30 g
Carbs 65 g
Protein 15 g
- 10 medium tomatoes, halved (or 6 large ones)
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 chilli peppers (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- handful fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat up the oven to 360ºF (180°C), cut tomatoes in half and place them on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt, black pepper and olive oil.
- Add on top sliced garlic and chilli peppers.
- Bake for 1 hour and once you take the tray out, let it cool off.
- Put baked tomatoes, garlic, chilli peppers and fresh basil into a blender and blend for half a minute (if you prefer chunkier tomato sauce, blend for a short time, for smoother sauce you'll need to blend the mixture for at least 1 minute).
- Out of this amount you'll get approximately 1 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.
Keep refrigerated in an air-tight container for max. 1 week.
Feel free to change the recipe by leaving out chilli peppers if you’re not fan of spicy food. Or add more basil. It’s truly up to you and your taste buds. Give it a try!